Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Originally I didn t set out to do it alone. In my first year of my degree I became friends with a gi




My dream to travel Europe alone came about the same way my dream to go to university all inclusive mexico vacation packages alone in the UK came about: I simply thought of it, realised I wanted it, and somehow I did it despite all my fears and doubts within myself. And now here I am, three months away from graduating. I still can t believe I did it, and loved it. I hope that in two years time I will be writing all inclusive mexico vacation packages a post about how I can t believe I m travelling Europe alone.
Although I ve been talking about this dream of travelling for the last year and a half, I ve always kept it vague; believing it better not to plan it too much in advance as things could change. But, like with my decision all inclusive mexico vacation packages to come to uni in the UK, I started telling people I was going to do it anyway, because if you don t believe in it yourself it will never happen. Just like when people scoffed at shy little me when I told them I was going to move to the UK alone and do an English Literature all inclusive mexico vacation packages and Creative Writing degree, they now scoff when I tell them that I plan to save for a year, and then set out to travel around Europe for hopefully a year if the odds go in my favour. Most people immediately pick up on the fact that I plan to do it alone. Their response is usually You re travelling all inclusive mexico vacation packages alone? But isn t that dangerous, you d be much better going with someone else. You re a woman, it isn t safe for you. Real supportive.
Originally I didn t set out to do it alone. In my first year of my degree I became friends with a girl and the plan to travel Europe became a shared all inclusive mexico vacation packages dream, one we planned to do together. I then started going out with my ex boyfriend and my friend would jibe Oh I guess you ll be travelling with him instead? But I told her no, I d made a promise to travel with her and not matter what happened between me and this guy, I would still travel with her. Six months later she got into a relationship. A while later her and I were talking and she flippantly dropped into the conversation that she and her boyfriend were planning their travelling already, she made it abundantly all inclusive mexico vacation packages clear that it was no longer her and I going to live the dream, but her and him. After this my ex confessed that he d always wanted to travel anyway so why didn t we do it together, I figured this was a good idea considering I wanted to stay with him. But then that ended too. Which led me to the conclusion that if I want to do this, I need to do it alone. People are unreliable and to be honest, I think I will be a lot better off doing it alone. If I m alone I don t have to compromise on what I want to do or where I want to travel to and when. I will be responsible for only myself which will ease a lot of the stress.
The downside of travelling alone will of course be the loneliness, and naturally this worries me. I am not great at striking up conversations with strangers in public because I can be quite socially awkward, but I plan to work on this. And I know when I m put in the situation I will be able to do it. The other major issue is my safety. Will it scare the hell out of me travelling alone around all inclusive mexico vacation packages cities I have no clue about: hell yes. Will it stop me: most definitely not! I ve spent all of today sitting in my room furiously googling and eating fairy cakes and what I ve found has inspired and comforted me. There are looooooads of young women out there that travel alone; there are whole sites dedicated to it, and I have read almost every safety tip they have. I also love how many sites there are out there that are designed for travellers to bunk over in a host house. It gives me faith that there are good people all inclusive mexico vacation packages out there that are willing to open their homes to lonely travellers and give them a roof over their heads and a little company. I plan to sign myself all inclusive mexico vacation packages up as a host on one of these sites next year when I have my own place back in Ireland all inclusive mexico vacation packages again to stack up some good karma before I leave for my own travelling, and to glean some tips from those travelling already.
So before today I was afraid to start researching my great big journey because I was afraid I d find it was impossible all inclusive mexico vacation packages for little old me; but instead I have found a huge wealth of information and advice aimed exactly at people all inclusive mexico vacation packages like me! I now feel more excited than ever for my Europe dream; although I know that between now and the time I finally set off on my journey all inclusive mexico vacation packages I will have a lot of doubts, but when that happens I remember the words my step mum said to me a week before I left for uni when I was having serious doubts:
G_____, I m not going to lie, it could all go tits up, you could hate it and be home after a month. But can you honestly all inclusive mexico vacation packages say that if you don t go and at least try it you won t always wonder how things could have been and if you could have done it, and even loved it? Can you live with that regret? Remember, all inclusive mexico vacation packages you can always come home, but you should at least try to leave.
Those words have stayed with me for the past three years. They have been some of the best advice I have ever been given. And when I get afraid of travelling and doubt that I ll be able to do it, I remember her words. It s simple advice but it changed my outlook and it comforts me to this day, and I know I m going to rely on those words a lot in the coming two years. But in the pit of my stomach I have a feeling that quells all the little doubts; it s a feeling that reassure s me because all inclusive mexico vacation packages it tells me that I am meant for this. Because I really want it, and there is nothing that I have really wanted that I haven t gone after and gotten yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment